about government homes
In the U.S., the government banned lead-based paint from residential
housing in 1978. However, homes built before that year may still have
lead-based paint on their walls and other surfaces.
This is cause for concern, because lead from paint chips and dust can
cause serious health problems. If you scrape, sand, or remove old
paint, you may release lead dust.
LEAD IS TOXIC. ANY EXPOSURE TO LEAD DUST CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ILLNESS,
INCLUDING BRAIN DAMAGE. CHILDREN ARE VERY SUSCEPTIBLE. PREGNANT WOMEN
SHOULD ALSO AVOID EXPOSURE.
Environmental Protection Agency says about 900,000 children ages 1 to 5
have blood-level concentrations above the level of concern. If not
detected early, children with high levels of lead can suffer from
damage to the brain and nervous system, slowed growth, headaches, and
behavior and learning problems such as hyperactivity, according to the
EPA. Lead dust also is harmful to adults - especially pregnant women.
If you scrape, sand or remove old paint, you may release lead dust.
LEAD IS TOXIC.
Contact the National Lead Information Hotline at 1-800-424-LEAD.